Yvette & Michael | Real Weddings New South Wales

Meet Yvette & Michael

I had just started a job in a small shopping village and to my delight discovered that the local bakery café specialised in gluten-free products. After 15 months of buying bread, cakes and cappuccinos, I finally met the owner, Michael who was working the coffee machine on this day. There was an undoubtable instant attraction for us both, however many lattes later, Michael asked me out on a ‘real date’. The night ended with our first kiss which, with some truly cosmic force, was followed by a spectacular show of thunder and lightning across the Blue Mountains.

The proposal

After a week away on the Sunshine Coast visiting old friends,
Michael suggested we head out for dinner. It wasn’t until we got home, he raced off upstairs. I could hear him fumbling around in the wardrobe. In the time it took for me to take off my shoes, he was kneeling in front of me with an opened ring box, asking if I liked it and “do you want to marry me?”. I was gobsmacked and in awe of my new ‘bling’ and eventually squeal out squeal out “YES”. We decided to marry within 6 months.

Your Wedding Day

We wanted our wedding to be relaxed but unique and chose the last Sunday of daylight savings in March.

The venue had a private jetty that was perfect for my arrival from Circular Quay. A small group, including my mum, travelled the short trip across the harbour to Gladesville in the ‘white’ water taxi.

I had both my parents escorted me from the boat, up the many sandstone steps to the garden path, all to the sounds of a Tibetan bell blessing.

At 6 pm on 28 March, in front of 60 close family and friends, we exchanged our marriage vows on the lawn of Banjo Paterson Cottage Restaurant. Our celebrant gave us an Apache Blessing and Michael’s 8-year-old son presented us with our rings. Our mothers played a special part as official witnesses.
Following the ceremony, guests were captured by the beat of the African drummers, with an amazing sunset over the water and plenty of drinks and canapes.
As the night fell, guest kicked off their shoes and danced on the lawn while watching spectacular fire twirling entertainment. All this before sitting down for dinner!
Dinner was held in the beautiful old sandstone cottage restaurant which was set up with four separate rooms, some with water views, for a candlelit dinner. After our meal guests were invited into an adjoining room for the formalities and more dancing.
Our cake was particularly special being made by Michael down to the last handmade rosette. Our first dance was to the beautiful heartfelt sounds of Stephen Bishop “It might be you, all of my life”.

We waved off each of our guests as they left the restaurant, then took a taxi back to the Sir Stamford Circular Quay for a candlelit bath. What an incredible day.