Bridal Lingerie Checklist
One of the keys to make certain that your dress looks amazing on your big day is to ensure that the lingerie underneath is flattering. There are two types of wedding lingerie you need to purchase: wedding day-time and wedding night-time/honeymoon. This checklist will help keep you on track with both types. The shopping process doesn’t need to be stressful or embarrassing. In fact, it’ll help the shopping process if you’re able to relax and have a little fun with it!
• Start looking around for white or nude-toned lingerie to wear under your dress on your wedding day. Shop around, try on different styles, and keep your dress in mind at all times – just because those frilly undies look cute, doesn’t mean they will look flattering under a figure-hugging dress.
• If you’ve had a bespoke dress made, this is probably about the time that your dressmaker will call you in for a fitting. Take your wedding day-time lingerie with you, to make sure that the dress sits well with your underwear. Your dressmaker may need to make a few adjustments, to make sure that the dress looks as flattering as possible, on your big day.
• If you’ve ordered an off-the-rack dress, it might have arrived by now. The same rule applies here as with a dressmaker fitting: take your day-time lingerie with you. If something doesn’t look right, you may need to purchase different lingerie, or take the dress to a dressmaker for altering. Remember that in-built bras are a great option for specific cuts and body shapes- consult with your dressmaker!
• If you haven’t already started collecting bits and pieces, now is the time to get stuck into shopping for lingerie for your wedding night and honeymoon.
• Make good use of the sales assistants in lingerie shops – they are experts at fitting bras and suggesting underwear styles suitable for your body type.
• If you’d like to surprise your honey with something a bit naughty, but you feel a little embarrassed to walk into an adult store, you can shop online, from the comfort of your own home. There is no guarantee that online purchases will fit perfectly but you can get a pretty darn close fit, if you’ve kept your measurements from your professional dressmaker.
• Make sure that you’ve purchased enough lingerie to last your entire honeymoon. Lingerie is delicate and, if you don’t trust the hotel housekeeping staff to carefully wash it for you, you don’t want to spend your honeymoon hand washing your delicates in the bathroom basin. Pack plenty of different options and enjoy your time with your man.
• This is the time that you’ll probably be celebrating your hen’s night. If you’ve got some cheeky friends, there will no doubt be a lingerie surprise in at least one of those gift boxes. Make sure it fits. If not, kindly ask your friend to exchange it for a better fit – some stores will do this, some won’t (most will accept returns/ exchanges for bras, but not panties)– before your wedding night.
• While packing for your honeymoon, make sure that you’ve cut all the tags off your new lingerie. The last thing you want to be doing is scrounging around the bathroom for a pair of scissors, while your husband is waiting in bed for you.
The Big Day
• Carefully slip into your beautiful new lingerie. Make sure that everything is tucked in and sitting straight before putting on your dress.
• Once your dress is on, ask your bridesmaids to check that your panty line isn’t visible and that the dress line is seamless.
The Big Night
• Give your husband a smooch. Go into the bathroom and get into that saucy number. Freshen up, take a deep breath, check yourself out in the mirror and then open the door. Be prepared to pick your groom’s jaw up off the floor.