Ask an Expert


Overseas Weddings

KateW Friday, 7th of October 2011

We have been playing around with the idea of an overseas wedding.

What are the legal requirements of doing so. Do we need to get the marriage certificate signed in Australia anyway, and then the one overseas is just for show ?

Hi there,

Congratulations on your engagement and considering an overseas wedding. In most countries, the process is quite simple and require you to arrive at your destination at least 3 working days prior to the wedding ceremony. You will be required to visit either the Australian consulate in that country, or the local office of Births Deaths and submit your application for marriage. In most instances, if you have secured the services of a wedding co-ordinator (which we can assit with) they will escort you through this process.You will need to bring along your original birth certificates, passports, and any applicable divorce certificates/death certificates. There will be a fee payable on the day, and depending on which country you are considering, I can advise this amount.

Once you have completed your marriage overseas, you will have 12 months to produce your certificate of marriage to Births, Deaths and Marriages here in Australia for it to be legally recognised.

Please note that some countries do have varying conditions, so feel free to contact me for further clarification.

Many thanks,
Melissa Ingles
Travel Counsellors

View all Honeymoon questions

Post a Comment

  • Your Nickname
    anonymous    (Log In or Join to post under your name)
  • (not displayed on site)

  • Security Code
  • Please wait...

  • Can My Friend Marry Me?
    Advertise with Bride Online